Pursuant to Wis.Stats. 59.66(2) - The purpose of this State Statute is to return money to
its rightful owner.
Generally, County and municipal unclaimed property consists of uncashed checks that are
older than 1 year.
When these funds are reported as unclaimed, municipal treasurers track and report this
information to the County Treasurer. The Dane County Treasurer is required to post public
notice of all unclaimed Funds. After the official public notice in the newspaper claimants
must go to their local municipal treasurer’s office to claim the funds within 6 months.
After that 6 month period, The Dane County Treasurer assumes responsibility for the funds,
and claims must be filed in the Treasurer’s Office.
To see if there are Dane County unclaimed funds being held in your name, check the Dane County Unclaimed Property Funds listing.
If you find a listing that corresponds to your name and address:
- Appear in person at the Dane County Treasurer’s Office, Room 114 City County Building, 210 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Madison. The office is open Monday through Friday from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm. Telephone inquiries are not accepted.
- You will be required to verify your identity and that you are the person for whom the funds are being held. Bring valid identity documents showing your full name, current residential address, signature and photo. This could be a passport, Wisconsin Driver’s License, Wisconsin ID, or other government-issued identification. A utility bill with your full name and residential address may also be helpful.
- Be prepared to give information about the amount of the claim, and the circumstances of why the County, or a Dane County municipality, would owe you money.
- You will be required to attest to the truthfulness of your claim and to sign the attestation in front of a notary. A notary will be available at no charge at the City County Building; the County Notary will require a photo ID with your residential address and signature.
- Verified claims will be paid by check, and mailed to your current address. No claim will be mailed to a PO Box. Claims are processed in the order received and checks will arrive in four to six weeks. No one will receive cash at the time of making a claim.
To get information about unclaimed property held by the State of Wisconsin, check the State of Wisconsin Unclaimed Funds listing.