ADA Committee Schedule Minutes & Agendas Code of Ordinances Feedback Phone / Email Search

How to Change a Name on a Tax Bill

If you would like the property tax records to reflect a change of name, you may need to record documentation with the Register of Deeds office. We encourage consultation with appropriate legal authorities.

Death of a Spouse

If you are requesting that a name be removed due to the death of a spouse, you must record either a "Final Judgement" or a "Termination of Decedent's Interest" form depending on how title was held. You can determine how title was held by looking at your deed.

If you held title as "joint tenancy" or "survivorship marital property", you need to record a "Termination of Decedent's Interest" form. You can obtain forms needed at the Register of Deeds Office along with instructions on how to fill them out. The phone number for the Register of Deeds is (608) 266-4141.

If you held title as "tenants in common", Termination of Decedent's Interest cannot be used. In this case you probably need to record the "Final Judgement". You may wish to consult your attorney first to see if this has already been done.


If you wish to change the last name due to a marriage, we can add your new name to what is already on the record, but we cannot remove the name that is reflected on your deed without a new deed being recorded. It is possible to obtain a copy of a Quit Claim Deed from most business supply stores. After this is filled out, take it to the Register of Deeds office to be recorded. You will also need to fill out an electronic Wisconsin Real Estate Transfer Return (eRETR). This on-line form is found at For information on recording fees, contact the Register of Deeds at (608) 266-4141.


If you wish to change a name, or remove a name, due to divorce, you must have a Quit Claim Deed or Final Judgement recorded in the register of Deeds Office. In cases where you are resuming use of a maiden name you need to make sure the Quit Claim Deed reflects this change. Quite often the deed is made out in the married name. In most cases one of these documents already exists. However, sometimes these documents are not recorded and no change can be completed until they are recorded at the Register of Deeds office.

If one of these documents has been recorded and Dane County has not changed the records, please let us know as soon as possible. Please include information about the documents such as the date recorded or the document number.

How to Submit Your Request

  1. Email requests should be directed to with the information above.

  2. Or Mailed to:
    Dane County Planning & Development
    Attention: Property Listing
    210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd Room 116
    Madison WI 53703

These requests are not taken by phone.

More information is available from Dane County Property Listing here: